dispersing agent

Acrylic Marbling
enidadams

dispersing agent

Post by enidadams »

I used Kodak photo flo for years with success, to create "gall water" for acrylic marbling, and to add to any colors that needed help floating. I used it successfully with both Boku Undo colors, tube acrylics and fabric pigments. Somewhere along the way, my gall water stopped working, breaking up with irregular edges and looking like contamination, even when made up fresh with steam distilled water. Although the non pariel comb pulled very fast helps get rid of some of the irregularities, many combed pattern have been ruined. It seems unlikely that a soapy substance can spoil, like natural oxgall. I wondered if Kodak had changed the formula, but in a direct inquiry, I could find nothing about that.
-Has anyone else had this experience with Photo Flo?
-Have you found another dispersing agent for acrylic marbling that works well for you?
I have Golden's acrylic flow release and Pro Chemical's dispersing agent. The former is very strong and the latter not as strong as photo flo, which I used to us 3-4 drops per ounce of distilled water.
-I have not tried Galen Berry's dispersant.

I really miss having a reliable clear ink, to hold the ground color of the background, open up the patterns and provide contrast. Not using it, I can make the combed patterns work, but they are not nearly as good without the clear ink.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Enid Adams
camilavasco

Re: dispersing agent

Post by camilavasco »

hi, have you tried use a dishwashing detergent?

I used once and works to me. do you use kodak photo flo to mix the inks or just drop on size?
dancingblanket@gmail.com

Post by dancingblanket@gmail.com »

I use Golden Acrylic GAC 100. It's especially helpful with reds.
dancingblanket@gmail.com

Post by dancingblanket@gmail.com »

Correction- I use Golden Acrylic GAC 200 for colors that sink and colors that don't stick well. It's especially helpful with reds. I've experimented with many of the Golden Mediums and the 200 seems most useful.
Milena

Post by Milena »

Hello All
I used Photo Flo 200 (for over 20 years) and eventually realized the formula was contaminating my tray and tools.
It was coating the surface of rakes & comb tips,my stylus and even brush hairs. Back in the day, Kodak described Photo Flo as a mixture of iconic and a non-iconic wetting agents (which cling to everything). Long story short- I had to marble in new trays, make new tools, and buy more brushes since washing didn't remove all the PF. However, along the way, my experimental nature took hold and led me in exciting new directions. Don't give up! Other wetting agents can be tried as well: for the serious minded- Triton-100-X (contains same formulas as Photo Flo 200, 600) and can be found online at photo supply sources; the other is simple JetDry for dishwashers. Each needs to be experimented with as there is no exact formula (too little, too much, etc), and different ratios need to be worked out. I always used steam distilled water to make size and mix colors, and in particular, Uncle Dan's, until that disappeared from shelves and told my students the difference between tap water and steam distilled was like burlap VS silk. Good luck and may the Marbling Muse be with you!