Paper

Acrylic Marbling
malcolm

Paper

Post by malcolm »

I marble with acrylics on Methocel -tried all sorts of paper with and without alum, has anyone found a particularly good paper ? I'm an amateur and live in the UK.
Griffin.benko

Re: Paper

Post by Griffin.benko »

Malcom,

I'm an amateur as well from USA. I've had good luck with Rives BFK Printmaking papers with both methocel and carrageenan. I also like to use rice paper of various kinds for cool textures. Paper in general is always an experiment and can get very expensive. Look for sales at art stores for deals. I even go as far as buying a book of watercolor paper for cheap and almost use it for "practice" to get the colors and designs right. Afterwards, I use the better quality, expensive paper which usually turn out better. Also, I alum everything that I marble unless I'm absolutely sure that it doesn't need to be.
SouthHillKaren

Re: Paper

Post by SouthHillKaren »

Sulfite papers (all wood pulp) are too tender to stand up to all the wet-and-dry, unless they are more than 90 to 100# in weight. Paper which is good for printmaking is usually pretty good for marbling. These papers are usually all cotton, tend to have one 'toothy' side and be somewhat absorbent. They also tend to be heavier and prone to trapped air bubbles. Asian papers with kozo or gampi included are much stronger than pure sulfite papers and lighter weight. Much less trouble with air bubbles. Handmade ones are quite expensive, machine made ones often have screen lines. I have noticed several types of Masa papers from Japan are now available. I am slowly working my way thru them. Cotton papers made for watercolor often include intentional textures, which I don't appreciate, and they are stiff and prone to air bubbles too. haven't found the perfect one yet.